This archived web page remains online for reference, research and recordkeeping purposes only.
It will not be altered or updated.
The Toronto Guild of Puppetry, organized in 1953, actively served as a volunteer training ground for amateur puppeteers in Toronto until it was dissolved in 1989. From the early 1960s on, the Guild's activities centred on an annual production using hand puppets, marionettes, and rod puppets. Members worked cooperatively on these large-scale shows, which were presented as a means of raising operating funds for the groups. A number of the Guild's early members became semi-professional, and some went on to make puppetry a career.
Adapted from Figuratively Speaking : Puppetry in Ontario by Ken McKay, copyright 1990. Courtesy of the Ontario Puppetry Association and Ken McKay.